Friday, November 2, 2007

Outlining

Ok so I missed the big "how to outline" shindig this week -- was it any good? 1Ls, if you want outlines from your PALS pals, let us know (email me, kremerl@, or put a comment here) what class you need an outline for. We might not have had the same teacher as you, but it's often helpful to see how other people did it.

Everyone's outline is different. I have a friend who isn't happy unless she has a 70-page, single-spaced outline to take into an exam. I do best when I've managed to condense my outline down to about 15 pages, and also have a two-page version along with me. One friend of mine made an enormous color-coded civil procedure outline with charts and graphs and boxes and lord knows what else.

So, here's my process. (I'll try to get some other 2Ls and 3Ls to describe their system here (any volunteers?)) In 1L year, I would read the material in advance and take notes in outline format, using the structure of the casebook. Then I'd take copious notes during class. Toward the end of the quarter I'd combine my handwritten notes and my outline. Which took forever.

Now my system, if things are going well, is this: At the beginning of the week, I quickly create an outline of the material we'll be covering. Before class, I read that day's material, writing notes into the book if I think I'm going to be called on. During class, I type notes into my outline. At the end of the quarter, as I'm preparing for the exam, I usually can just tighten up the outline I've already created, and find the spots where I'm confused and clarify them. Then my main occupation is synthesizing the info so I can create my 2-page version.

Structuring the outline can be tricky. Usually I just use the structure of the casebook itself, which can be very helpful in orienting myself when I'm feeling lost. But for some professors (see Schnapper) it's more helpful to create the outline based on the syllabus. For other professors it can be a combination of both.

No comments: