Sunday, November 4, 2007

More on Outlining

Lisa asked me to describe my outlining system. Here is what I try to do every quarter:

I take notes in the book before class, writing out any questions in the margin. During class, I take notes on my laptop, using a new Word document for each week. At the end of the week, I print out those notes, read them over, and organize them into outline form. This takes me a LONG time.

Near the end of the quarter (maybe a week before classes end), I go through my longer outline and condense it to a 10-20 page outline. I try to make sure that I understand each key concept as I condense the outline. Like Lisa, I also try to create a short, 2-page outline to take into the exam with me.

Ideally, I finish all of this outlining a week before exams start so that I have the rest of the time to do practice exams. Before my 1L fall exams, I spent so much time on my outlines that I didn't have time to take practice exams, and that was a HUGE mistake. I think it is more important to take lots of practice exams and go over the answers with other classmates than it is to have the perfect outline.

I had Schnapper, Wolcher, and O'Neill during my first quarter -- if anyone wants to see my outlines for those professors, email me at porterc@u.wash

Also, I think Professor Kaltsounis's outlines are the best I've ever seen, and she has great advice about studying for exams. If you couldn't make her outlining session, at least ask if you can take a look at her outlines sometime.

No comments: