Saturday, September 29, 2007

Food Friday: enchiladas

So I've been working on finding efficient recipes that don't take a lot of time or use up a lot of pots and pans (I hate washing pots and pans), and that both the kids and the grownups like. I make a lot of casseroles that I can have for lunch the next day too. Each morning before school I pack four lunches, so I'm always looking for shortcuts.

This is a quick recipe that won't win any prizes but it's fast, has few ingredients, and doesn't get too many dishes dirty in the preparation. If you try it out, let me know how it goes. And tell me what you'd serve as a side -- my biggest challenge is finding ways to get kids to eat veggies. We'd probably serve this with pineapple and broccoli.


Super-easy enchiladas

4 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breasts*
1 c. light sour cream
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese**
1 Tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package flour or corn tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Shred or chop the chicken. Mix with sour cream, cheese, cumin, salt and pepper. Add other ingredients as desired (green peppers, cilantro, green onions, etc). Put two big spoonfuls of chicken mixture on a tortilla, roll up and put seam-side-down in a 9x13 pan. Repeat until you get through all the filling. Pour sauce over top. Bake 20 minutes, until heated through.

* For the chicken, you can use breasts, thighs, whatever, and cook by poaching, baking, whatever. Or you could shred a rotisserie chicken. Last time I made this I cut up raw chicken and cooked it on the stovetop, stir-fry style.

** I hate shredding cheese. If it's on sale I buy it shredded. Otherwise I buy the bulk sliced cheese at Costco and cut it into tiny little pieces, which is good enough for me. And a knife is easier to clean than a grater.


Got a recipe to share? Email me! I need stuff for future Food Fridays.

p.s. Yeah I know it's not Friday. I'm a day late. I had a meeting, I got distracted, yada yada.

No comments: