Sunday, July 27, 2008

Post bar life

A few photos from the last week:

Because I live in Tacoma and the bar is in Bellevue, I got a hotel room for the bar and Ray shared it with me. The week before, consumed by stress, we both decided to go a day early so we could try to have a couple of uninterrupted nights' sleep before the exam (something about 3-year-olds and sleep doesn't mix, apparently). Here's how we spent the day before the bar:



Here's a photo from Megan's facebook page -- I certainly didn't have the presence of mind to take a picture, but yes, this is the room where 800 people sweated out the bar for three days:



Afterward we had friends over to our hotel room for champagne. Ray's husband came with her daughters, wearing T-shirts her law firm had made for them:



Friday, I took the kids out for ice cream IN THE MIDDLE OF A WEEKDAY -- scandalous! -- and took this picture, which I emailed to my husband at work to make him jealous. It worked.



Ahh, post-bar life. Nothing to do but clean the house to unearth three years worth of crap, punctuated by trips to the local frozen custard stand. And beer! How I've missed you, beer. Life is good.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Congratulations on getting the bar over with! It worries me that I've NEVER heard anyone say: "Oh, it really wasn't THAT bad." So, is there any class that you took during law school that you thought was particularly good preparation for the bar?

Anonymous said...

Aside from the required courses, take wills/trusts and bankruptcy, even if you don't think you ever, EVER want to practice in these areas. :-) They are on the exam, and if you didn't take them you may find being tested on them intimidating. Family law and corporations/business entities are also pretty fundamental "crossover subjects" that you will likely find in more than one question.

If you can squeeze it in, and you plan to practice here, I would recommend taking Indian Law and/or WA State Constitutional law.

I'm not sure any of the classes really touched on the technique necessary, because the focus is more on stating rules and applying them to facts, and little analysis--the opposite of law school requires now, or working life later. Another thing to remember is that unlike law school classes it's not open book, which in retrospect, I wished I'd gotten used to a little earlier, but it would've made it harder. -cw