Thursday, May 21, 2009

Children at Graduation?

Who is planning to walk across the stage with kids at graduation? I can't decide. Any advice from parents who did it last year?
*********

From lawnews:

Children may join their parents for the walk across the stage at the law school graduation ceremony. If you would like your child/children to join you, they need to be brought up to the stage from the audience just at the point where you are going to start the walk. They then need to be picked up from the opposite side of the stage.

(There is not enough room to seat the children onstage with the graduates
throughout the ceremony. Also, please note that there is a deep orchestra pit
at the edge of the stage, so small children should be kept firmly in hand.)

Children that join their parents on stage will be handed a "honorary" diploma, so please email Francis Timlin (ft@u.wash) if you would like your child/children to participate so that they know how many children to expect. Children will need a ticket if they will occupy a seat.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sammy will be "walking" with me.

-Kathy

Lisa said...

I didn't think I would care one way or the other, but I loved having my girls walk with me. It made the ceremony a lot more fun. Plus the photos are great.

By the way, as you're backstage lining up to go onstage, try to get near the front of the line. That way you'll be one of the earlier ones to walk. It makes the wait a lot less painful for your child, and for whoever is holding your child(ren) for you. After I walked with my daughters, my husband picked them up on the other side of the stage, then walked straight up the aisle and out into the lobby where they played for the remainder of the ceremony. Much better than waiting around in the audience.

Lisa said...

Here are pix and comments re last year's graduation ceremony:
http://uwpals.blogspot.com/2008/07/graduation-photos.html

Ray liaw said...

I would agree completely with Lisa - I LOVED having my kids on stage. The photo is up in my office and I get all kinds of compliments. Made the journey come full circle!

Laura McCabe Arras said...

My kids (who were barely 2 and 5 at the time) both walked with me. My daughter carried her stuffed frog. They were gorgeous, the moment was infinitely more meaningful for my whole family, and the picture is cherished.

If you are debating, it is worth every bit of (really very small) incovenience. The day is crazy and once-in-a-lifetime, so why not have it your way?

Of the dozen kids who walked last year, I don't recall a single crier, whiner, or problem. Just pure joy.

Happy graduation, all.

Ryan said...

My daughter was only 8 months old when I carried her across. She was a little spooked out, but I carried her across the stage before she got scared enough to start calling for her mommy.

It was definitely a very special moment for my family and I would recommend it.

Christine said...

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to do it!

Vanessa said...

Manny and I are walking together! I even stole Kathy's idea and made him a tiny graduation gown to wear.

Christine said...

A tiny graduation gown? That is the cutest idea. I wish I had thought of that.